Thursday 4 June 2009

contemplating.......

So, dear readers, once again I have been absent for far longer than is decent, suffering from blogging angst. Time is a major factor at the moment, I probably have much more of it than lots of you out there but time management is NOT my strong point and I feel that spending hours on the computer is not a productive way to spend my days. Added to that is the guilt factor, and being a parent brings with it a huge amount of guilt already without adding to it.

However I love the record of family life that a blog gives me, I don't keep a diary and all the digital photos spend their life on discs and not kept in any order, so a blog provides us with a great keepsake.
I love reading blogs that make me laugh, inspire me and make me drool with envy and I'm not sure that a log of my children's life would make scintillating reading. So what I think I will do is carry on sporadically, mainly for me but very happy to have you all popping in and I will endeavour to call in on you all whenever time permits.

So for now I'll leave you with some of the things making me smile at the moment.................

:: walking up a nearby hill, one of Ian's favourite haunts and enjoying a very windy picnic and the amazing views once there.

:: the fact that even with my limited (very) gardening skills, the mixture of rain and sunshine recently have meant that my haphazard approach to gardening has led to a pretty fantastic display this year. Particularly loving the geraniums and the surprise anenome that I'd forgotten I'd planted..................




:: special gifts from very special people. A gorgeous vintage inspired necklace from the lovely Kathy and a fantastic tea dress in the Cath Kidston fabric I bought a while ago made by a very talented mum from school who wanted to practice her dressmaking skills in return for a few crochet lessons.


:: taming that wild bed hair, scrumptious!


:: delicious, sweet cherries, flipping expensive but heavenly and with the added bonus of giving you an illicit thrill when you see how far you can spit the stone (or is that just me??)

:: sun, sun and more sun which means everything can be done outside, which in turn means less mess inside, just as well because I do not operate at full capacity when the temperature gets above 25 degrees.


:: the colour of the water against the paddling pool, it only stayed this way for about five minutes since Jack decided paddling pools should always have added soil, grass and leaves...............




:: celebrating my birthday with a meal without kidlets in a sushi restaurant, and loving the cards from friends who know me so well............


:: wearing a bikini in secret. This 39 year old body is not fit for public consumption but whilst everyone is out I can cavort around the house in total privacy without scaring small children. As Jack commented when asked his opinion about mummy in said bikini : "too white and too wide". Ahem.

Just in case you were all wondering if I've completely lost the few marbles I have left, I have remembered the button maker, next post I'll announce the winners.

Bye all.............


33 comments:

Tant Grön said...

What a lovely dress, looks nice with the turquoise :-)

Ali said...

No time for blogging angst with all that lot going on! A belated happy birthday and just keep making us smile with snippets like these every now and agin. It is enough.

Summer Blue said...

Do I spy a view from Cleeve Hill? Having grown up in the area it looks familiar.
Love the post and all the piccies, glad you're staying in blogland.
The cards are great...happy belated birthday.
Jane. x

Things Hand Made said...

Did you buy the dress you were looking at in Cath Kidson? It did look good onyou. I don't know wht the rest of the bikini photo looks like but definately not too wide in the tea dress!

French Knots said...

It's quality not quantity with blogging posts!
Your son's comment really made me giggle, but I'm sure he's exagerating :)

Frances said...

Please do post when it suits you ... every one of them is a gem!

I so understand what you mean about allocating time.

This post was such a pleasure to read ... full of the joys of summertime. xo

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

oh ive only just noticed your post!! the date thing keeps it to far down on my bloglist i must remember to check in future :-)
garden looking very lovely all cottagey gardeny well done and the CK dress looks fab :-)
happy happy birthday love the cards !
Lesley x

Curlew Country said...

Hi Julia - great to hear from you. Forget the blog angst and be sporadic I say. Your blog is for you, not for us - we just share that's all. You've got a great family record going, one of the very best reasons for a blog.

And what a fab post too, wonderful images and a lot of giggles. I love your cards (many happy returns!) and I properly splurged at the Les Dawson one - brilliant!

Enjoy wearing that wonderful dress. Who needs to carry off a bikini when you can float about in a frock like that!

Super to catch up with you. Happy summerx
Steph

Marie said...

Too white! Too wide! Love it- and it applies to me too! Thanks for sharing that tidbit!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

I think we all suffer from the same malaise.. but I do think you have got your priorities right Julia and spending time with family and 'doing things' is much healthier all round!
It was lovely to see you.. albeit briefly.. at the V & H Fair in May.. so sorry I didn't chat.... the day passed in a bit of a blur..
Happy Belated Birthday... you have some great friends!

Michele x

Rubyred said...

Hi Julia, it's up to you when you blog, we just love it when you do!Your garden looks gorgeous, especially the window box.happy days in the garden, love it!Also lovin the necklace and the tea dress.
Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday, those cards are brilliant!
Keep enjoying your summer!
Rachel x

Anonymous said...

I had exactly the same Les Dawson card for my last birthday!

Sandie (Sandie's Patch)

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

I just found your blog...and lovely it is! I am in love with the dress and necklace, how darling.

Fantastic blog!

Tracy x said...

ha - i roared with laughter at Jack's comment - priceless!
another great post from you and i will continue to enjoy them as and when you post - your blog is great and it should always be a pleasure and not a chore x
t x

the homely year said...

What wonderful photos. I've so enjoyed them all.
Margaret (and Noreen)

Attic24 said...

I have so missed you Julia, I pop in at regular intervals and am delighted to find you still around, no matter how sporadically.
Lovely photos, as always.
Enjoy a wonderful summer time with your Little People
Lucexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

claire said...

Good to see you back. I'm a bit of a sporadic blogger too, although I try not to be. I love the dress, necklace and vest combo -really nice. Isn't your mum clever? I bought some dress fabric from Ck too but it is sitting in the drawer until i can find a dressmaker. It was nice to meet you at V & h. hope to see you at the next one.

claire Maraldo said...

Oh and happy belated birthday!

carolyn said...

Very belated birthday greetings to you. Sounds like life is good at the moment so forget the blogging angst.

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Oh Oh I so spit the stone too........ yes I know you said lots of great stuff and included fab pictures but the spitting of the stones hits a cord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MelMel said...

Lovely dress!

Great cards...very amusing!

I'm feeling more on track, despite having a hard time lately...blogging seems to be cheering me up again....so thats good!
Maybe it will be more you again when you take some time out...x

prettyshabby said...

helloooo Julia, glad to see i wasnt the only one leaving a big gap between posts!(dont you think the longer you leave it ,the harder it is to get back to it?I'm always feeling guilty about it too)
Anyway Happy belated birthday lovely lady, I hope you had a gud'un with no hangover!I love the cards you got.. mighty amusing!
I really love your wire window boxes too, you just find the BEST housey things that are so perfect!
xx

midge said...

wow, I wish my limited gardening skills were as limlited as your limited gardening skills. Your blog is so beautiful, it's a long time since I have called in, I must come back soon.

Heather at Mad Rose Creations said...

The dress is fantastic. I love the photos, especially taming of the bed head

cindy@muttleymanse said...

Hi,
I just discovered your blog as I am new to blogging. I can't wait to go back and read all your posts. I am fascinated with England. I am a teacher and I just decorated my classroom with a Beatrix Potter theme which should tell you just how fascinated I am! I LOVE all your photos!

Clare Wassermann said...

I have so enjoyed reading back over your blog for the last few months. You children are so like mine but I'm three years on from you. It doesn't get easier xxxx

Kim said...

Isn't that the truth? Parenting=Guilt. At least for us moms,right?

But, I'm pleased to see your post. It looks like you are having a lovely summer. From over here in the States, garden pics from England are just mouth watering...must be your climate, but we don't get luscious flowers like that in our back gardens (at least here in the Southern region).

James Mayhew said...

My wife loves your blog - it's like a never ending version of one of her favourite magazines. Anyway, you've also provided me with lots of vintage inspiration, especially for Ella Bella. So thank you for the reference materials and carry on blogging!


http://jamesmayhew-katiespictureshow.blogspot.com/2009/07/opera-and-ballet-and-cath-kidston.html

Unknown said...

Hi!
Congrats for your beautiful blog!
I invite you to visit my crafty blog: http://lellilu.blogspot.com
Thank you! :D

Kathy said...

Hi Julia...stop bloody contemplating and blog!!!!!!!! From her that never blogs!! Kathyxx

gayle said...

Welcome back, I'm back too. I loved all those photos, esp the windbreaker and the crochet blanket in the cabin.

Unknown said...

Well done with getting your home in the magazine! Certainly looks pretty and love what you have done.

On a blog posting note, how do you get the pictures to centralise (I do click the central button) and frame them?

Lesley
www.lesleybonney.co.uk (new web coming soon)

eCommerce Solution said...

Glad to know your back. This is one whole fun story and experience you got with your love one. I'm glad to have read your post and will surely read along.